An oasis of peace, covered with pinewood, the Island of Lokrum was mentioned for the first time in 1023, on the occasion of founding a Benedictine abbey and monastery. Namely, on St Benedict’s Day that same year a fire destroyed a large number of wooden buildings in Dubrovnik. The residents made a vow for the salvation of the City founding the Abbey of St Mary on the Island of Lokrum. Next to the monastery is the Annunciation Church of Blessed Virgin Mary from the 15th century. The first written document originating in Dubrovnik is the certificate declaring that the Island of Lokrum is given to the Benedictines as a gift.