The construction of the Public Bird Garden began in the spring of 1929, in the area of the Gradac Park that had not been used previously. In several months time this neglected area turned into «a romantic and genuinely neat garden, which had already become the home of rare species of birds». The Public Bird Garden was officially opened on Sunday, 1 September 1929. The Design was made by architect Đanito Ćurlica, and carried out by engineer Damjan Roki. In 1941 the garden was closed due to insufficient financial means.